Last Updated on February 14, 2024 by Nouman kaleem
One of Osaka’s most iconic landmarks, the Tsutenkaku Tower, is a must-visit for any traveler to the city. Standing at 103 meters tall, the tower offers stunning views of Osaka from its observation deck. Visitors can also learn about the tower’s history at the on-site museum or enjoy a meal at the restaurant.
Tsutenkaku Tower – A Short History
Situated in the heart of Osaka, the Tsutenkaku Tower is one of the city’s most popular tourist attractions. The tower is 103 meters tall and offers stunning cityscape views from its observation deck. But the tower is more than just a pretty face – it also has a rich history deeply entwined with the city. In this article, we’ll look at the history of the Tsutenkaku Tower, from its humble beginnings as a wooden structure to the iconic steel tower that it is today.
The original Tsutenkaku Tower was built in 1912 and modeled after the Paris Eiffel Tower. The tower was a joint venture between two local business people and was initially intended to be used as a radio antenna to broadcast Osaka’s first radio station. Unfortunately, the tower was destroyed by a strong typhoon just a few months after it was completed.
But the city of Osaka was not deterred, and they set about rebuilding the Tsutenkaku Tower in 1929. This time, the steel tower was made of steel to withstand the elements better. The new tower was an instant hit with locals and tourists, quickly becoming one of the city’s most popular attractions.
The Tsutenkaku Tower underwent a few more renovations in the following years, the most significant of which was in 1964, when the tower was given a complete makeover to mark the Tokyo Olympics. The tower was more modern, with a new observation deck and set of escalators.
The Tsutenkaku Tower is more than just a tourist attraction – it symbolizes Osaka itself. The tower is a reminder of the city’s rich history and resilient spirit, a place everyone should visit at least once.
How to Get to Tsutenkaku Tower
Tsutenkaku Tower is one of Osaka’s most iconic landmarks. The tower is 103 meters tall and offers stunning cityscape views from its observation deck. Getting to Tsutenkaku Tower is easy, just a short walk from Osaka’s central train station. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to reach there:
- From Osaka Station, exit the Central Gate and walk straight ahead.
- Turn left at the second set of traffic lights onto Nishi-Umeda Dori street.
- Walk for about 10 minutes until you reach a large intersection. Tsutenkaku Tower will be visible on your left.
- Cross the intersection and walk towards the tower. There is a pedestrian bridge that leads directly to the tower entrance.
- Once you’re at the tower, take the elevator up to the observation deck for stunning views of Osaka!
- What to See at Tsutenkaku Tower
If you’re peeking for a location to get a bird’s eye view of Osaka, Tsutenkaku Tower is the place for you! Standing at 103 meters tall, this iconic structure is one of the considerably recognizable milestones in the city. And while it may not be the tallest building in Osaka, it offers some of the best views. Here are three things that you can see from Tsutenkaku Tower:
One of the best things about Tsutenkaku Tower is that it offers panoramic views of the city. Osaka’s significant landmarks include the Umeda Sky Building and Osaka Castle. You can also understand the city’s layout and how the neighborhoods are connected.
The Surrounding Area
Tsutenkaku Tower is in the Shinsekai district, one of Osaka’s most exciting areas. This neighborhood was once a famous entertainment district, and you can still see some old neon signs that used to line the streets. After dark, the view from Tsutenkaku Tower is incredibly stunning, as the city lights up like a sea of stars.
If you time your stay right, you can also glimpse the sunset from Tsutenkaku Tower. The city’s views at sunset are breathtaking, so bring your camera!
Climbing Tsutenkaku Tower
Assuming you would like a blog titled “4 Tips for Climbing Tsutenkaku Tower”, here are a few tips to help make the most of your experience:
- Take your time – there’s no need to rush to the top. The tower offers stunning views of Osaka, so savor the experience and take in the scenery.
- If you’re feeling energetic, opt for the stairs instead of the elevator. It’s a great way to work up a sweat and burn off some calories!
- Don’t forget to stop by the observation deck – it’s the perfect place to snap photos of the cityscape.
- Last but not least, remember to enjoy the journey back down. The views from the bottom are just as spectacular as from the top!
- Tips for Visiting Tsutenkaku Tower
- Purchase your tickets in advance – You can purchase your tickets online or at the ticket counter on the day of your visit, but we recommend doing so to avoid long queues.
- Dress for the weather – The weather in Osaka can be pretty unpredictable, so be sure to dress for the occasion. If it’s sunny, bring a hat and sunscreen. If it’s raining, bring an umbrella.
- Wear comfortable shoes – Tsutenkaku Tower is in a busy shopping district, so you’ll walk a lot. Wear comfortable shoes to avoid sore feet.
- Take your time – No need to rush your visit to Tsutenkaku Tower. Take your time exploring the area and enjoy the views from the top.
- Bring a camera – Tsutenkaku Tower is one of Osaka’s most iconic landmarks, so be sure to bring a camera to capture memories of your visit.